Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall
Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall
All spam and antivirus filtering are handled by the open source packages, SpamAssassin and ASSP (Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy).
For customers who require enterprise filtering can upgrade to Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall.
The Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall is a customized dedicated server that contains specialized software to complete protection of your email box. It provides a solution to eliminating spam and virus from your domain by providing the following protection:
The algorithms and methods used by the Barracuda Spam Firewall are the most comprehensive and most advanced in the industry at detecting and filtering spam resulting in the lowest rate of false positives.
By utilizing dual layer virus blocking, decompression of archives and file type blocking, the anti-virus engine in the Barracuda Spam Firewall provides complete virus protection.
This technology prevents the use of forged or "spoofed" sender addresses on unsolicited email. The anti-spoofing feature also allows larger organizations to specify a list of IP addresses that are allowed to have a "From" address that appears from inside the organization to support multiple sites and multiple email servers.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall provides robust protection against phishing schemes which are often used to gather confidential information about an organization or it's individual users.
All attachments are scanned and any spyware executables are detected and eliminated immediately.
Denial of Service
Rate controls are utilized to stop denial of service attacks as well as dictionary based spam attacks. These rate control systems are integrated and automatic in the Barracuda Spam Firewall.
The Barracuda Spam Firewall protects your email server with twelve layers of defence:
- Denial of service and security protection
- IP Reputation Analysis
- Rate Control
- Virus Scanning
- Sender Authentication
- Recipient Authentication
- User-specified rules
- Spam fingerprint check
- Image Analysis
- Intention analysis
- Bayesian analysis
- Rule-based scoring
The Barracuda Spam Firewall architecture optimizes the processing of each email to maximize performance and process millions of messages per day. Unlike software solutions, the Barracuda Spam Firewall reduces the load placed on the email server by off-loading both spam and virus filtering and results in improved response on the webserver.
With Barracuda Networks Energize Updates, the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall is continuously updated with the latest spam and virus definitions every hour keeping maintenance to the unit at a minimum and eliminating administrative overhead. Updates are provided by Barracuda Central, an advanced 24/7 security operations center that works to continuously monitor and block the latest Internet threats.
End User Control
The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall contains numerous end-user features that allow for individual tuning and greatly enhance the accuracy of our spam filtering.
* User Based Filtering. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be configured to set spam policies by the end-user on an individualized basis or on a global corporate level.
* Individual Spam Scoring. The individual spam scoring feature allows end-users to set their individual thresholds for spam tolerance providing personalized control over spam policies.
* Personal Allow and Block Lists. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall can be configured to allow end-users to have control over their individual allow and block lists which further reduces the chance of false positives.
* End-User Quarantine. The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall provides the ability to setup quarantine mailboxes where users can direct questionable email for later review. This greatly reduces the support load for large organizations.
* Digest Emails. A daily email is sent to all end-users with a quarantine account summarizing the contents of their individual quarantine mailboxes.
* Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes Integration. Barracuda Networks provides a software plug-in for both Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes end-users. With this tool, users can classify messages as spam or not spam in order to fine-tune the filtering and further eliminate any chance of false positives.
The Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall is used worldwide by organizations such as City of Kelowna, Simon Fraser University, Coca Cola, Google, YMCA and many other Fortune 500 companies.
For a list of companies, click here and here.